Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Accountant’s testimony sprawls into a 4th day at Trump business fraud trial in New York -Blueprint Money Mastery
Surpassing:Accountant’s testimony sprawls into a 4th day at Trump business fraud trial in New York
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:01:07
NEW YORK (AP) — An accountant who prepared Donald Trump’s financial statements was back on Surpassingthe witness stand for a fourth day Thursday in the New York civil fraud trial examining whether the former president exaggerated his wealth.
Trump himself didn’t attend the proceedings Thursday, after choosing to be there — and avail himself of the news cameras waiting outside — for the three prior days.
The business fraud trial stems from New York Attorney General Letitia James’ lawsuit alleging that Trump and his business ginned up financial statements that vastly overvalued Trump Tower, Mar-a-Lago and other assets. Trump denies any wrongdoing and says James, a Democrat, is just trying to damage his 2024 presidential campaign. He’s leading the Republican field.
The non-jury trial concerns allegations of conspiracy, insurance fraud and falsifying business records. James is seeking $250 million in penalties and a ban on Trump doing business in New York.
The witnesses so far have been two accountants who worked on the financial statements, which went to banks, insurers and others.
James’ legal team is working to show that Trump and his company had complete control over the preparation of the statements, with the accountants relying on information the Trump Organization provided.
The defense has been trying to show that if there were problems with the financial statements, the flubs were accountant Donald Bender’s fault. Trump lawyer Jesus M. Suarez on Thursday continued an exacting cross-examination of Bender, who worked on the statements for years.
Judge Arthur Engoron ruled on some other claims before the trial, finding that Trump did engage in fraud by inflating his assets’ worth on the statements.
The ruling, which Trump appealed Wednesday, calls for dissolving the limited liability companies that control Trump Tower and some other prominent holdings and having a receiver operate them. Trump would lose his authority over choosing tenants, hiring or firing employees and other key decisions on those properties.
In an order Thursday, Engoron ordered both sides to submit names of potential receivers by Oct. 26. He also gave Trump and other defendants seven days to provide a list of all entities covered by the ruling. The list will go to a court-appointed monitor, retired federal Judge Barbara Jones.
Engoron, seeking to prevent an end run around his ruling, told the defendants to give Jones advance notice of any application for new business licenses in any jurisdiction and any attempts to create new entities to “hold or acquire the assets” of a company that’s being dissolved under the ruling.
___
Follow Sisak at x.com/mikesisak and send confidential tips by visiting https://www.ap.org/tips.
veryGood! (5772)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Inside Kelly Clarkson's Most Transformative Year Yet
- Biden administration is announcing plans for up to 12 lease sales for offshore wind energy
- Former Louisville pediatrician pleads guilty in murder-for-hire plot to kill ex-husband
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- The unfortunate truth about maxing out your 401(k)
- Ariana Biermann Slams Kim Zolciak for Claiming Kroy Biermann Died
- Courteney Cox Reveals Johnny McDaid Once Broke Up With Her One Minute Into Therapy
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- How Trump's immunity case got to the Supreme Court: A full timeline
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Fast-food businesses hiking prices because of higher minimum wage sound like Gordon Gekko
- Student-pilot, instructor were practicing emergency procedures before fatal crash: NTSB
- What is record for most offensive players picked in first round of NFL draft? Will it be broken?
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Indiana man accused of shooting neighbor over lawn mowing dispute faces charges: Police
- Call Her Daddy Host Alex Cooper Marries Matt Kaplan in Intimate Beachside Wedding
- Columbia University making important progress in talks with pro-Palestinian protesters
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
74-year-old Ohio woman charged in armed robbery of credit union was scam victim, family says
Chicago Bears will make the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft for just the third time ever
Tennessee lawmakers pass bill allowing teachers, school staff to carry concealed handguns
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
NBA playoffs Tuesday: Timberwolves take 2-0 lead on Suns; Pacers even series with Bucks
Shohei Ohtani showcases the 'lightning in that bat' with hardest-hit homer of his career
The Best Swimsuit Coverups on Amazon for All Your Future Beachy Vacations